Violence Against Women & Girls

A5 Flyer English

“For a life free of violence” is a new project that provides free legal advice to Kurdish and Turkish speaking women who have evidenced and encountered domestic violence. Domestic violence is not only limited to physical violence but also incudes, psychological, sexual, emotional and economical abuse. We have advisers who can assist you from the initial stage until the issue is resolved in Kurdish, Turkish or English.

You are not alone!

  • One incident of domestic violence is reported to the police in the UK every minute.
  • On average two women are killed a week by a current or former male partner
  • One in four women experience domestic violence
  • Domestic violence can happen to anyone regardless of their ethnicity, religion, class, age sexuality, disability or lifestyle.

Signs of domestic violence:

  • Destructive criticism and verbal abuse: shouting/mocking/accusing/name calling/verbally threatening
  • Pressure tactics: sulking, threatening to withhold money, disconnect the telephone, take the car away, commit suicide, take the children away, report you to welfare agencies unless you comply with his demands regarding bringing up the children, lying to your friends and family about you, telling you that you have no choice in any decisions.
  • Disrespect: persistently putting you down in front of other people, not listening or responding when you talk, interrupting your telephone calls, taking money from your purse without asking, refusing to help with childcare or housework.
  • Breaking trust: lying to you, withholding information from you, being jealous, having other relationships, breaking promises and shared agreements.
  • Isolation: monitoring or blocking your telephone calls, telling you where you can and cannot go, preventing you from seeing friends and relatives.
  • Harassment: following you, checking up on you, opening your mail, repeatedly checking to see who has telephoned you, embarrassing you in public.
  • Threats: making angry gestures, using physical size to intimidate, shouting you down, destroying your possessions, breaking things, punching walls, wielding a knife or a gun, threatening to kill or harm you and the children.
  • Sexual violence: using force, threats or intimidation to make you perform sexual acts, having sex with you when you don’t want to have sex, any degrading treatment based on your sexual orientation.
  • Physical violence: punching, slapping, hitting, biting, pinching, kicking, pulling hair out, pushing, shoving, burning, strangling.
  • Denial: saying the abuse doesn’t happen, saying you caused the abusive behaviour, being publicly gentle and patient, crying and begging for forgiveness, saying it will never happen again.

Know your rights!

If you are frightened of your current or former partner, then you have a right to be protected under the law. These are some of the legal options you have:

  • You have rights under the criminal law. Being assaulted by someone you know or live with is just as much a crime as violence from a stranger, and often more dangerous. See Police and the criminal prosecution process for more information.
  • You can apply for a civil court order (an injunction) to tell your abuser to stop harassing or hurting you, or to keep out of or away from your home.
  • You can get help with emergency or temporary accommodation.
  • The law can also help to protect children. You can apply to the Family Courts for an order specifying where and with whom the children should live, and regulating contact with the other parent.

Domestic violence is dealt with both under the criminal law and the civil law. The two systems are separate and are administered by separate courts:

  • The civil law is primarily aimed at protection and compensation. A survivor of domestic violence can make an application for an injunction either to the Family Proceedings Court or the County Court. Other family proceedings such as child contact or divorce also take place in the County Court.
  • The criminal law is primarily aimed at punishing the offender. The police together with the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) initiate the process. Criminal cases are heard in either the Magistrates’ Court or the Crown Court depending on the severity of the charge.

Contact Us

Email us at or call on 07776326204 to speak to Minura, to find out how we can help you or to book an appointment.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s